Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Finally Finished!!

Hey everybody, and welcome to my new blog! I started this to stay connected with everyone back home and let y'all see what my life is like up here.

I'm excited to announce that my bicycle mosaic (which I started far too long ago) is finally done!!! I sadly left a bunch of my mosaic supplies in Shreveport because I couldn't fit them when I moved, so I had to do some collecting in order to get it done. I grouted today, and as always cut my fingers while doing so (totally worth it).

In the photos you can see my little workstation (aka kitchen) and before and after photos.
Before grouting


After grouting (nice difference)

I chose the bike because it reminds me of riding my bike as a kid and feeling so free and independent. I remember the bicycle adventures where we would push the limits on where we were allowed to ride, and the stories Molly and I made up on the way to school. I'm determined to write a funny children's book about the tall tales some day. It reminds my of riding to middle school- although my sisters and I complained about it then- it turned out to be a good thing. Tacky dreaded lunchbox dangling from the handle and all.

I remember my dad teaching me how to ride in the winter grass on Richmond, and the crazy number of times I came to a stop by (accidentally) ramming my front tire into the car so it got wedged. I think about how smooth that circle drive near Alee's house was (God knows how the neighbors felt about us making ourselves at home in their driveway :) I remember attempting to walk George (dog) on my bike to get out of the 'walking' part of it.. bad idea (he has a mind of his own).

I choose not to think about the bad bike memories... skinned knees, caught shoelaces. The time Laura busted her head open at Toledo Bend because the person riding in front of her stopped abruptly, causing her to flip over her own handle bars. I was so freaked out by the blood, I remember running back with her, dizzy.

Needless to say, memories on my bike are some of the most vivid and treasured.






And just a cool photo I took just because I enjoy the magical quality of the way the light reflects off of my mosaic...







I also took a few shots of my cute little kitchen. As this is the first place that I get to really make my own, you can imagine the fun I had decorating. Chad lets me do whatever I want-- he's pretty agreeable!










Beloved, beautiful poppies! The ceramic vase was made by Melissa Rust in high school.






And of course a few lovely little reminders of Louisiana- sure to make me smile




Overall, I'm happy, healthy, and keeping myself busy. I love New England more and more with every day, and can't wait to show my family and friends who come to visit around.

LOVEY!!!!







1 comment:

  1. I love your cute little kitchen and the bike mosaic. I can't wait to bring baby Boston up there to see you and your new home. Miss you and love you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated...